Sunday, December 30, 2012

Lady with a Brown Paper Bag

THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE POSTED ON NOVEMBER 9TH, 2012

I have to say that I am glad that no one saw me the other day, at least not that I know of.  I must have looked a tad crazy to the woman at Famous Liquors.  I limped in, having hip pain from the latest chemo.  It was last Thursday and Greg and I spent a very very long day with Dr. S., a radiologist at Northwestern.  The end result of meeting with him; radiation is not needed.  In a day and age when doctors need to be ever cautious of what they say for fear of being sued, when he told us this we felt relief beyond words.  I am done.

CHEMO IS OVER AND RADIATION IS NOT NEEDED!!!!


Greg left and went back to work.  I drove home and as I parked my car into the garage I realized that it was something we needed to celebrate.  I decided to walk to the local liquor store and get a split of champagne. As I left the liquor store, carrying a brown paper bag, walking with a limp and wearing a head cover, I realized I must have been some kind of sight and probably looked a tad drunk, walking down Madison Avenue with my special brown paper bag of champagne, having to walk slowly and deliberately due to the neuropathy in my legs.  It caused me to laugh, and silently pray that none of my neighbors were looking out their windows at the particular time of me walking down the street.

There is still allot to do, many doctors to see and of course, getting back to where I was before all of this started, actually I want and need to be better health wise than I was and I know that it will take time.  But, I am motivated.

The best news, I am considered to be in permanent remission.  I will need to see my oncologist every three months for blood work and check ups but, the road ahead looks sunny.

No comments: