Sunday, February 3, 2013

Lesson Learned... The Hard Way

I have been feeling better these past few weeks.  I thought that the start of the new year was the start of a new me.  My hair has been growing on my head slowly but surely, albeit there are days when it itches like crazy, but I take it as a good sign.  My eyelashes have come back as well as my eyebrows.  

The neuropathy in my hands and feet has been really slow to dissipate   The numbness is gone for the most part though.  My hands don't tingle although they ache if they are washed in hot water and are painful and swollen in the morning.  I have to pay close attention to when I am typing [something I do at work all day long].  If I don't, Iendupwithaparagraphwithoutspaces [I end up with a paragraph without spaces].  I also tend to knock things over when not paying attention,  of course, I was a klutz as a kid, maybe it's just returned from childhood.

My feet are another story.  When I wake up I feel like my feet are swollen balloons.  Walking on them first thing in the morning is really painful, it takes awhile to feel comfortable on them.  Sometimes, a water pill is needed to take the puffy feeling away.  The great thing is I have been able to wear heels at work.  I love high heels.  Not the ridiculously high ones, just one inch kitten heels or my favorite pair of Enzo's, never more than three inches high.  It makes me feel feminine again.  I don't believe there is any correlation with feeling the morning pain and wearing heels the day before.  It happens in flats or when I wear my new gym shoes [fluorescent hot pink and black, Amanda is so proud].

I got up this morning and put on my robe and slippers, as usual.  I had my book in my hand and started walking down the stairs the way I always do, like an old lady [no offense].  I go one step at a time.  I put my left foot down onto the stair and then my right and I proceed down the stairs in this manner until I reach the bottom and hold the handrail the entire time.

Last night though, it snowed.  For this California girl, the first morning of a measurable snowfall is always breathtaking; really to me they all are.  I love the white stuff.  The crisp feel in the air, the clean smell, the way the white of the snow can make the world look new and fresh.  I used to wake up Amanda if the first snow began after she had gone to bed.  I don't know why, just something we always shared.  I think my friends from Chicago think I am nuts about how much I like the snow.  When we had the blizzard two years ago I was probably as happy as the neighborhood children who played while I shoveled. It makes a great work out.  I find myself upset with weathermen who tell us it is going to snow and then, in the morning or at the end of the day, there is no snow.

I found out the hard way that I still need to pay close attention at all times to my walking.  As I came down the stairs my eye caught the whiteness in the window and while my left leg was lifted to go to the next stair, and my eyes were on the snow, in that split second I lost my footing and fell the last four or five stairs down. I landed hard.  So hard that Greg, who was in the backroom on the recumbent bike and rocking out to Katy Perry with his headphones, heard the thud.  Thankfully he was home, I was freaked.  I landed and slid.  I am almost positive that I did not hit my head.  I joked with a girlfriend that the scar from hip to hip in the front will be paired with a bruise from hip to hip in the back that I am sure to get.  My left elbow has suffered the worst of it.  Right on the spot that bends I have a lovely gash.  

For those who don't know me as others, I don't deal well with blood.  My security staff when I was the Assistant Manager at the Chicago Hilton and Towers knew this.  If there was a call and there was blood, they shielded me.  I have never handled it well.  So, as Greg was cleaning up my elbow in the bathroom, he walked out to get the first aid kit and I saw the elbow in the mirror.  The room started spinning, the queasiness came on, my eyes went blurry and the cold sweat soaked me.  I don't think I have ever been so close to fainting.

I didn't break anything thank God.  I am sore as sore can be and know I will be popping Motrin tomorrow. 

I also wanted to share with you an amazing thing that a bunch of students and a couple faculty and staff did at Trinity a week ago.  They gave of themselves by giving their hair.  They donated almost 40 feet of hair to Locks of Love.  I was asked to speak to the school [yikes!!] .

You can view it here [copy and paste]: 

or go to  At the top right you will see the youtube icon.  Click on it and I believe it should pop right up.  


Amanda said...

Hehehehe Katy Perry! Oh Dad!
Glad you're doing well Mom! Love yoU!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, lots of things going on but except for today, doin good. Love ya, G