Saturday, June 9, 2012

Wise Words of an Indian Hotel Owner


"Everything will be alright in the end.  If it is not alright, it is not the end."  Sonny Kopoor, the determined young hotel owner, says this to a disgruntled guest in the lovely movie The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.  My daughters and I went to see it yesterday afternoon.  I am not sure if this is a real Indian saying, as claimed, but what a wonderful thought to have in ones mind when there are challenges to be faced.

I was stopped in my tracks earlier this week.  I have since realized it was a blessing in disguise.  When one has surgery scheduled and there is time to stop, think, rethink, and think again, one starts to doubt.  It is natural.  It happens to all of us in our daily lives and regarding so many decisions.  Do we or don't we?  Should we or shouldn't we?  All the what if's come out from under the bed and around the corners and you doubt yourself and the path you are taking.

The sunburn like rash that I developed stopped the world from spinning.  I was told I might have to begin chemo right away;  surgeries canceled until further notice and radiation still a question.  For several days I sat stunned, scared, and in limbo while the tests were done on a tiny piece of tissue.  I was told that I  should hear on Thursday.  The day went on as usual and by late afternoon I was emailing my doctors assistant.  There was no answer and it would be tomorrow before the results would come.  I was working late Thursday night and driving home, I checked my phone.  I had felt the familiar vibration earlier from my jacket pocket but was in a meeting and did not answer.  A call had come in at 8:30 p.m.. I know, I know, not supposed to touch the phone while driving, but in two beeps I heard an already familiar voice.  I pulled over to hear Dr. B tell me that the pathology report came back negative.

WHEW!!!!  I deleted the call, turned the car back on and drove home more determined than ever.  It is not alright  now, but it will be.  Monday, I will begin the long process to be alright, in the end.

P.S.  I highly recommend the movie.  It takes place in India and the scenery makes you want to travel there at once, and stay at this unique hotel with such lovely people as Tom Wilkinson, Judy Dench, Maggie Smith and Bill Nighly. What a fantastic place it would be!

5 comments:

Leslie Murphy said...

Prayers have been answered and as you said, your journey continues. I will stand with you in prayer and your strength will amaze you. IT AMAZES ME. Hope you can have a restful weekend and come Monday your family and loved ones will be with you. All my LOVE.

Anonymous said...

So happy and relieved for you:)

Anonymous said...

We saw the movie when it came out and loved it, Wally would go back but I am not so sure. The bump is over and the process will start and we are all with you in thoughts and prayers. Love ya, G

Anonymous said...

When my two nieces moved in with us after thier Mothers past away. You were the biggest help with my girls!!!! I will always be grateful for the rides to school and all of your kind thoughts an gestures. If there is anything that I can do please let me know!

Molly said...

Thinking about you today and sending positive vibes your way. Thank you for so eloquently sharing your journey with us, you truly have a gift with words. I hope you find the peace and strength you need today for your surgery tomorrow and recovery beyond. We are all here for you. Love, Molly P.S. Your girls are amazing, but you already knew that!